Friday 8 October 2010

Two easy, yummy recipes

Like most people I enjoy food, only problem is I have to cook most of it.   :-)  So when I come across recipes that are easy and taste delicious, I'm all for giving them a go.  I have two recipes for you that are made frequently in our house.  The first is fantastically quick and I taught Miss C. to make this a year or so ago.  So it's one of her signature dishes now.  O.K. here we go.


SATAY CHICKEN STIR FRY – Serves 4 

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon olive oil
500g chicken fillets, cut into thin strips, (I use only 1 chicken fillet)
1 x 270ml tin (can) light coconut milk
1 chicken stock cube, (I use a low salt stock cube with no trans fats)
2 tablespoons peanut butter, (I have crunchy in the pantry so that’s what I use)
2 tablespoons sweet chilli sauce (optional)
¼ - ½ teaspoon garam marsala
2 cups snow peas, topped and tailed
1 red capsicum (pepper), sliced in strips

 








In a bowl mix coconut milk, peanut butter, stock cube, garam marsala and sweet chilli sauce.  Heat oil, stir fry chicken until golden brown.  
  Add satay sauce to chicken, then add vegetables and simmer uncovered for about 2 minutes or cooked to the texture you like your vegetables.   

 

 

Serve over rice.



The second recipe I have for you is a banana cake.  Yes another one, but this one is so easy as you melt the butter, shove everything in one bowl, mix, put it in the tin and into the oven to bake.
VERY EASY BANANA CAKE - Serves 1 - 12

Ingredients:
1 3/4 cups self raising flour, sifted
1 cup castor sugar, (I use less)
1/4 cup soft brown sugar
1 cup mashed bananas, (really soft and going brown ones are good)
125g butter, melted
3 eggs, lightly beaten, (I never do this, I just chuck them in the bowl)
3/4 cup sour cream, (I never use sour cream, always natural yogurt)
If you want to ice your cake -
1 cup icing sugar, (powdered sugar in the U.S. I think?)
the rind of 1 lemon
lemon juice, enough to make a fairly stiff icing

Preheat oven to 180C.  Place flour, castor sugar, brown sugar, banana, butter, eggs and sour cream or yogurt into a bowl and stir until combined.  Spoon mixture into a 25cm fluted ring tin and bake for 40 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer.  Cool the cake on a wire rack and ice if desired.
















If you try these recipes, enjoy.  Bye for now,

Anne



4 comments:

  1. Oooh, thank you for these! I think I'll make the Satay this weekend. I love to cook but have been uninspired lately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anne...your chicken recipe has me salivating. It really looks delicious. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Anne
    Nice to *meet* you and thank you for following Swedish House, as now I have found you ;-D.

    Your bannana cake looks absolutely, scrummy. I always make mine in a 2lb loaf tin and don't ice it. I have seen lots of these style cake tins for sale in 'loppis' charity/thrift shops here in Sweden...So thank you,Anne you have inspired me. I will buy one of these tins and next time I make bannana cake, it will be your recipe I use.
    Have a wonderful weekend and a great week ahead...
    LOVE PEACE enJOY
    Julie
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Anne
    Thanks for popping by :-)
    I think you'd love to see my little painting in 'the flesh' so to speak, as the brush strokes are so textural and really add to the delightfulness of the painting :-)
    Your banana cake looks fab!
    Happy days,
    Denise x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment.