After weeks of trying to get into the garden to do some much need tidying up, pruning and weeding, we finally had a break in the weather this afternoon. This morning it was raining rather heavily, so it was nice to see the sun periodically this afternoon. With all the wet and humid weather we've been experiencing, everything has grown incredibly fast, with plants beginning to take over at the back of the house.
We had noticed some time ago that European wasps had made a nest in the retaining wall, one of the areas that needed pruning. I very carefully (with gloves on), pruned around the area of their nest taking care not agitate them too much. Unfortunately one nasty little wasp decided to get inside my glove and sting me. Oh dear, hot needle pain between my knuckles.
I had read somewhere that you can relieve the pain of a bee or wasp sting by cutting an onion in half and putting it on the affected site. It did take away some of the sharpness of the sting but now the pain has intensified and my hand is swollen around the site of the sting, ouchies!!!!
This is the culprit.
|Photo from CSIRO|
According to an article on the CSIRO
website, this is what you should do for a European wasp sting.
"For multiple stings or a sting in the throat, seek urgent medical aid. Otherwise apply an ice pack or anaesthetic spray.
Or follow this advice from 400 years ago: 'If any venomous beast, by his sting or biting have caused your flesh to rise…put upon the stung place the dung of a cow or ox very hot'."
I'm rather amused by the dung remedy, fortunately I have none of that to hand. We have since poisoned the nest site and as much as I hate to use poison, these wasps are nasty. Furthermore, since they are an introduced species, I don't have any qualms about killing them.
Wishing everyone a lovely week.