Wednesday 2 November 2011

The weekend

This past weekend was an interesting one for hubby and me.  On Saturday hubby decided he would make use of the beer making kit we bought him for Fathers Day and started a batch of beer.  It's brewing away in our study/craft room, exuding strange smells and bubbling away.   Hubby has been collecting stubby bottles from everywhere so he has something to put the beer into when it is ready to bottle.

While hubby was making beer, I decided to make Christmas cards.  After the third design attempt, I came up with something very simple as I was fast running out of patience.  My sister is a much better card maker than me.

Sunday was wet and miserable and as hubby and I had a severe case of cabin fever, we decided to get out even though it was wet.  We started off with a bakery lunch in a local town and drove on down to Tooradin, a little town on Western Port Bay.   "The town's name is an Aboriginal term for a monster which the local Aborigines reputedly believed resided in a waterhole at this location.   It has the southernmost mangroves in the southern hemisphere."  http://www.townsinaustralia.com/Tooradin.1662.htm
Google images.  Tooradin is north of French Island, just above the word Gippsland.
 We first visited Tooradin when Genevieve was a baby and I had post natal depression.  Hubby would find somewhere different for us to visit each weekend to get me out of the house and to have something to look forward too.   I find water very soothing and peaceful so Tooradin is still one of my favourite places to visit.
Google images
Google images

We parked our car at the end of this road and looked at gulls and pelicans being buffeted about by the wind and the choppy high tide water.  We were warm and cozy in our car sipping on our coffee and eating a delicious sweet morsel from the bakery.  There were showers of rain about every ten minutes and when there was a break in the rain we went for a walk to the boat ramp which was invigorating in the blustery wind.
Google images
This was our view from the car window.
Through these trees and on the way to the boat ramp, we saw this camper van, complete with t.v. aerial and towing a covered trailer for extra camping bits and pieces.  I didn't consider it a very pleasant spot to camp with no shelter and very exposed, but each to his own.

Hubby and I spent a couple hours relaxing, talking about our trip to Europe next year and making plans.  I did some crochet on my giant granny square blanket and hubby read the paper and did the puzzles.  I suppose this might sound very boring to some, but we relished the time spent together without the interruptions that happen at home.  It's pretty amazing being married to your best friend.  We are both looking forward to the next time we can tootle off for a couple of hours by ourselves.

Thank you for all your comments on the Tea Party.  Sadly the sponge cake is all gone now and the biscuits going fast.


Anne  xx

10 comments:

  1. It doesn't sound boring at all so keep writing. I quite often drive down to the local retail park, grab a coffee and sit in the car, 'people watching' for an hour or two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the beer making - MrVV makes loads. However it seems it needs to live somewhere warm whilst its brewing - so he always takes over my airing cupboard!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds pleasant. Love the moody, choppy water in your photo. Cherrie

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely day out. It's good to be able to be quiet & relaxed with those you love. What a nice thing you said about being married to your best friend. I am very chatty but when hubby & I are alone on the boat, I'm very quiet & just enjoy the peace. I think being near water is very calming ( though maybe NOT at sea in a storm ! )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Will you be visiting northern ireland?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It doesn't sound boring at all. It's good to get out and about and not do much at all, isn't it? The waves look a bit choppy.
    Love from Mum
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds heavenly.
    We used to love to go down to Williamstown on Sunday afternoons in winter.
    Sit in the car - all cosy - while it blew and rained outside and look at the water and the birds and boats and listen to Rex Hunt and his ridiculous footy call on the radio and eat hot jam donuts from the donut van.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Anne, it sounds like a perfect outing to me.
    Car picnics by the water, in blustery weather, yes please...........

    Freefalling's trips to Williamstown sound wonderful too, hot jam donuts and listening to Rexy on the radio, hehehe........

    Claire :}

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like you had a lovely time together.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a lovely day out to me ... and those plans for a trip next year sound very exciting. I'm envious!
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment.