Monday 30 January 2012

No bake slice

Good morning.   Today is beautiful as the sun is shining, the temperature has dropped to something more bearable than 38C and there is a refreshing breeze blowing through the house.  We had 8mm of lovely rain overnight which has freshened the garden up beautifully.  We are fortunate to have our own rain water tanks so I can water the garden when I need to but there is something about water from the sky that is so much nicer to the garden than out of a tank.

Do you ever have that sinking feeling when you discover there is nothing in the bicky tin?  I did last night and it was up to me to make something even though it was boiling hot.  I was desperate not to add to the heat by turning on the oven, so I did a Google search (oh how I love thee Google) and found a recipe for these.

No-Bake Weet-Bix Slice
Ingredients
1/2 x 410g can sweetened condensed milk
10 Weet-bix crushed (gives the fingers a good work out)
125g butter
1/2 cup coconut
1 tablespoon cocoa
1 cup mixed dried fruit and nuts (I used 1/2 cup slivered almonds and 1/2 cup of craisins)
Icing
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon cocoa
1 1/2 cups icing sugar
1 -2 teaspoons boiling water

Method

1.  Melt butter and add the condensed milk, stir to combine.
2.  In a bowl mix the Weet-Bix, coconut, cocoa, dried fruit and nuts.
3.  Pour over the butter mixture and stir to combine.
4.  Press the mixture into a slice tin (I used a lamington tin), lined with baking paper.
5.  Combine all the icing ingredients together and spread over the top of the slice.
6.  chill and store in the refrigerator.
7.  Cut into squares to serve.

Recipe from www.bestrecipes.com.au


I didn't bother with the icing as I think the slice is sweet enough.  But if you are craving a sugar hit, go for it. 

I hope you have a great day whatever you are doing.  I have a pile of washing to fold, a huge pile of ironing to do including slip covers for sofas (won't that be fun) and other general housework that doesn't get done when it's hot.  But I am going to make time for some fun things involving yarn.

Anne  xx

4 comments:

  1. Oh Anne, just the thought of turning the oven on in the heat we've been having makes me wilt.....
    Mr. Google has lots of admirers, he came through with the goods for you

    We've had rain, rain and more rain, over an inch before we woke up this morning. Our rain gauge is cracked so have to rely on everyone else's tallies. Mind you when the sun came out today which it did often it was steamy as.......
    It has been looking very Wintry though and I am loving it.......

    Claire X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, send one to ireland for me :D
    Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the recipe. I'm glad it's cooled down a little for you. It's sunny here but there is frost on the ground.
    Love from Mum
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment.