Tuesday 29 January 2013

Impromtu Valentine's dinner

I like to make the most of opportunities.  When it occurred to me that hubby and I would be home by ourselves on Sunday evening, I decided to turn an ordinary evening into a special occasion and make it a Valentine's dinner.  I will be in Western Australia on Valentine's Day this year and as I like to make it a special day, thought Sunday night was the perfect opportunity to do just that in advance.

I had been pondering what to make for dinner all day as I knew it would be just for two and came up with a simple but tasty meal.

I made salmon patties loosely based on the recipe I found here,
 microwave potatoes in jackets, Waldorf salad, and grated carrot, coconut and currant salad.  I served the potatoes with Greek yogurt and the salmon patties with Tartar sauce.  It was a very simple meal but when you put accompaniments in little glass serving dishes, add some wine, it's all made that little more special.

Can you see hubby's fork on the right of the photo?  Don't know how that happened.  :)


We don't often have dessert but I had stewed some white flesh nectarines in a little brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and ginger earlier in the day and decided to pop some in a glass bowl with vanilla ice cream, some white chocolate shards which you can't see in the photo and some wafer sails/triangles (whatever you think they might be) and called that dessert.  Once again very simple but delicious.


  A little effort on my part made our meal so much more enjoyable.


Anne  xx

9 comments:

  1. Nice idea. Dinner looks and sounds lovely.

    By the way, I googled whole meal bread recipe and learned that whole meal is another name for whole wheat. We do have whole wheat flour here and I make that kind of bread all the time. Somehow though I don't think it is quite the same as what they eat in Europe. I see your loaf looks like it had seeds in it.

    Have a safe journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a nice thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A little bit of extra effort turns something everyday in the extra ordinary.....

    It all looks so yummy and the nectarines sound absolutely delish......

    Claire x

    ReplyDelete
  4. That all looks so yummy and special - you are very sweet to your hubby! Crystal really does make things look fancy, eh?
    I must make a Waldorf salad, it's not something I would usually make but I do like it and the carrot, coconut and currant salad sounds yummo too.

    Cheers - Joolz

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lovely summer meal. We love stewed fruit in Summer with ice cream for a dessert. Can't go past it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How lovely, it's good to be able to share something special :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely dinner for your sweetie! It all looks so yummy. :) Definitely special and out of the ordinary. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely! Glad you got an opportunity for early V-day dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks lovely, its really important to spend quality time together and there is no better way to do that than over a beautifully cooked meal! :)

    Jerra xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment.