Thursday 25 November 2010

Craving Mum's food

Last week I had a craving for a simple dessert my Mum made when I was growing up and I think she still makes.  Good old fashioned baked custard.  Of course you can't have baked custard without stewed apples so I made them too.  I like to put a little brown sugar with the apples, a couple of cloves, a sprinkle of cinnamon and sometimes the grated rind of a lemon.

The custard is super easy to make and as we have heaps of eggs from our chooks, it's a yumny way to use them up.

My Mum's Baked Custard
3 eggs
2 tablespoons sugar
600ml milk
2 teaspoons vanilla
nutmeg

Beat the eggs and sugar until sugar is dissolved.  Add milk and vanilla and beat until combined.  Pour into a casserole dish and sprinkle nutmeg on top.  Place the casserole dish in a baking dish with water in and bake in a moderate oven until set.

I'm going to make this again soon.  Just looking at these photos makes me want more. 

As a side note, I used a pair of old hand egg beaters I have stored in the drawer.  I certainly wasn't going to use the electric ones just for making the custard.  Miss C. asked me how long it was since I'd used them and I honestly couldn't remember, but I'm so glad I still have them.  While I was using them I was reminded of my brother (the farming one living in Western Australia), beating cream for Mum when we were kids.  He had flying on his mind and thought he would demonstrate a helicopter taking off while he was beating the cream.  Yes you guessed it, cream splattered everywhere in the kitchen.  Hey cob, you remember that? :)  Just couldn't resist telling that story.

  What childhood food do you crave?

Anne  xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment.